CURRIED CHANNA (CHICK PEAS) AND POTATO
- 1 cup channa (chick peas), soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 8 oz potato cubed or thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt with black pepper and hot pepper to taste
- Boil soaked channa in unsalted water until tender. Drain. Heat oil in a heavy pot, add onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes. Mix curry powder with ¼ cup water; add to oil and cook until thick, stirring continuously.
- Add potato and stir until coated with curry. Add 1 cup hot water, salt and pepper; cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add channa and stir well. Cook until water is reduced and mixture is tender and thick. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Substitute 1lb cubed or sliced eggplant (melongene) for chick peas. Use peeled or unpeeled as desired.