The National Library and Information System Authority (NALIS) is celebrating after being recognised at the 2019 Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) President’s Service Excellence and Innovation in the Public Sector Award Ceremony. On December 3, NALIS walked away with a Finalist Plaque in the category, Service Excellence, for its Maloney Public Library Project.
To be named as finalists by the IDB President’s Award esteemed judges, speaks profoundly to the success of the strategy employed by NALIS’ staff at the Maloney Public Library to engage in conservations, create connections in the community and build its collections to the benefit of the people of Maloney and environs. The Maloney Library Project resulted in increased registration, library usage and the community’s participation in outreach and educational activities.
In delivering her speech at the awards ceremony, Rocio Medina-Bolivar, Country Representative at the IDB lauded the work of all the Ministries and State Agencies. She said, “The aim of these Awards is to highlight and recognise the transformational initiatives undertaken by entities within the Public Sector” and added that, “The Awards may serve as a catalyst to further promote the metamorphosis of the public sector in a rapidly changing world.”
NALIS is no stranger to being recognised for its excellent service and contributions. The Authority has been recipient of a number of awards. These include:
- Creative Excellence Award, 1999 – 2000 for its corporate stationery;
- Creative Excellence Award 2000 – 2001 for the NALIS “Open the Book” Poster;
- Prime Minister’s Innovating for Excellence Award 2004 - Making a Difference to People – Social Inclusion for Services to the Blind and Visually Impaired Persons;
- Creative Excellence Award – Public Service/Charities 2008 for the “Trinidad Folklore Calendar”;
- COSTAATT Partnership Award 2012 for its role in developing the Technician’s Diploma and Associate Degree Programme in Library and Information Science;
- Ministry of Public Administration Excellence in Service Delivery Award 2012 for Excellence In Service Delivery - Arima Public Library
- Ministry of Public Administration Excellence in Service Delivery Award 2012 for Excellence In Service Delivery - Mayaro Public Library.
The successes attained by NALIS are as a direct result of the hard work and dedication of its staff and the commitment and support of many other stakeholders who all understand the transformative power of libraries in communities.