In celebration of 150 years of library services in Trinidad and Tobago, the National Library and Information System Authority (NALIS) in collaboration with TTPost produced two issues of 150th anniversary commemorative stamps. The first library was opened in 1851.
The stamps were officially presented to the Honourable Mr. Ganga Singh, Minister of Human Development, Youth and Culture and line Minister of NALIS on August 8, 2001 and went on sale the following day.
The seventy-five cents issue features photographs of the Trinidad Public Library in Port of Spain built in 1901 (now the Heritage Library, Knox Street, Port of Spain) and the Carnegie Free Library, San Fernando built in 1919. The three dollars and twenty-five cents issue features an artist impression of the new National Library Building. The issuance of commemorative stamps is just one of the many activities NALIS has planned to celebrate 150 years of library services in Trinidad and Tobago.
Over the years, the library service in Trinidad and Tobago has evolved from a three separate public library services (the Central Library of Trinidad and Tobago, the Trinidad Public Library service and the Carnegie Free Library) to now one governing statutory authority, NALIS.