Like many nations of the world, Trinidad and Tobago will recognize World Diabetes Day on November 14, 2009. Based on the fact that children and by extension teenagers suffer with diabetes the Port of Spain Young Adult Library will host Teen Talk Friday 13 November, 2009 from 3:00p.m. at the Young Adult Library, National Library, Port of Spain.
The Young Adult Library’s main guest speaker is 16 year old Thetis Barton, student of the St. Francois College and a diagnosed diabetic for approximately 12 years. Thetis has been on insulin from the age of four. She will share her experiences.
This World Diabetes Day Teen Talk will provide crucial information from four (4) perspectives, that of survivor and valiant fighter, Thetis Barton, Alison Mason Barton (Thetis’ mother) and Nurse Lisa Roberts (leader a diabetic support group). It will also feature NALIS’ online and print resources.
The Trinidad and Tobago Diabetic Association is will conduct blood sugar testing and counseling from 8.30 a.m. to 12:00noon at the library on Friday 13 November, 2009. The public is invited to have their tests done. Persons wishing to get tested are required to fast before the test.
NALIS library provides both print and online resources covering the subject of diabetes. A subject search using the keyword, ‘diabetes’, on NALIS catalog results in seventy-four (74) Library books, these include:
- Coping with Diabetes by Pat Kelly
- Delicious Food for Diabetes: Over 80 Tasty, Healthy Recipes by Louise Blair
- Overcoming Runway Blood Sugar by Dennis Pollock
- Real Life Parenting of Kids with Diabetes by Virginia Nasmyth Loy
- What Makes My Blood Sugar Go Up and Down? And 101 Other Frequently Asked Questions About Your Blood Glucose Levels by Jennie Brand-Miller, Kay Foster-Powell and Rick Mendosa.
- 101 Weight Loss Tips for Preventing and Controlling Diabetes by Anne Daly, Linda Delahanty and Judith Wylie-Rosett
- Diabetes: Scientific and Natural Treatments by Roman C. Gelabert
- Diabetes: Sugar-Coated Crisis: Who Gets It, Who Profits and How to Stop It by David Spero with a foreword by Gavor Mate
- The Diabetes Carbohydrate and Calorie Counter by Annette B. Natow and Jo-Ann Heslin
- Diabetes Meals On The Run: Fast, Healthy Menus using Convenience Foods by Betty Wedman-St. Louis
- 101 Tips for Aging Well With Diabetes by David B. Kelley
- 101 Tips for Simplifying Diabetes by The University of New Mexico Diabetes Care Team.
- Delicious Food for Diabetes: Over 80 Tasty, Healthy Recipes by Louise Blair.
- Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars by Richard K. Bernstein; foreword by Frank Vinicor; recipes by Karen A. Weinstock and Timothy J. Aubert.
- Even Little Kids Get Diabetes by Connie White Pirner; pictures by Nadine Bernard Westcott
- The Joslin Diabetes Quick and Easy Cookbook: 200 Recipes for 1 to 4 People by Frances T. Giedt and Bonnie S. Polin with the nutritional services staff at Joslin Diabetes Center